11.21.2011

Danielle Mangabat: "I Am...Filipino American" Winner

Photo Courtesy of thefilam.net

A smiling 10-year old Filipino-American girl from New Jersey, Danielle Mangabat, accepts her award for winning the "I am...Filipino American." contest as announced by the Filipino School of New York and New Jersey.

All students of Filipino descent from grades 1-12 were invited to participate in the contest. They were asked to answer some questions with regards to their pride as a Filipino-American.  

Danielle Mangabat wrote an essay and she shares, "Every chance I get to showcase my Philippine roots, I seize. I participate in my school’s cultural shows wearing a “baro at saya,” which is a Filipina’s dress. I truly enjoy our Philippine cuisine and delicacies which I expose my friends to. “Pansit” and “polvoron” are my favorites. I bring back stories punctuated by pictures of my travels to the Philippines, always stating the fact that our 7,100 islands are full of adventure and diversity."


I read her essay and I knew why she won. It was short but sincere, innocent, heartfelt and truthful. She was unabashedly proud to be a Filipino that every moment she grabs as an opportunity to share about the Philippines.

She ended her piece with a declaration, "I am proud to be who I am. An American by birth, but with a strong and steadily beating Filipino heart."

She may be miles away from home but her heartbeat rings loud and clear from across the globe. We should all learn from this young lady. Let us carry the colors of our Motherland proudly and unashamed.


Read Danielle Mangabat's full essay here.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-6148168-1