11.14.2011

How To Test Your Perseverance: The Angry Birds Approach

The Angry Birds Approach

Angry Birds


Earlier today, Yahoo News reported that the famous gang of flying angry birds have reached a milestone. Ever since its release two years ago, it has been downloaded more than 500 million times worldwide. I don't think it will slow down for the next couple of years or so. It is indeed an Angry Birds invasion around the globe. In the Philippines alone, Angry Birds merchandises from key chains, toys, bags, shirts and many more are flying off the shelves fast.

I remember the first time I got hooked myself. I stayed up late for the next three days trying to finish all the challenges. There were times when I practically spent the whole day playing. It was both fun and frustrating. There were a number of really difficult challenges and I think I've done more or less a hundred tries (maybe it's exaggeration but I really felt it was close to a hundred) before I can move on to the next stage.

Setting "addiction" and "wasted time" aside, I think how we play Angry Birds tells us something about our attitude in life particularly, perseverance.

But first things first. Let's try to define what perseverance is. According to the www.thefreedictionary.com, it is a continued steady belief of efforts, withstanding discouragement or difficulty. 

I came up with these 4 questions* that might help gauge one's perseverance. Answer Yes or No.
1. Do you stay up till the wee hours of the night playing Angry Birds? If yes, up to what time? 
    This question tells us that if we are doing something fun and challenging, we can set our minds to do it and even withstand sleepiness.  
2. Do you strive to win all three stars for every challenge?
    The measure of how well we did killing all those catatonic pigs were measured through the stars given. We did good if we get one star, two for better and pretty damn well if we get all three. The first try will not always get us the three stars but I tend to go back and play again until I get a three. There's a feeling of fulfillment that goes with it if I did.   
3. Do you not stop trying as many times as you can to complete the difficult challenges?
    The pelicans are my least favorite among the angry birds. There was this one challenge and all I have were, you guessed it, the pelicans. It was really hard since I'm not very good with the timing. I was stuck after several tries, slept on it and tried again the next day. After like an eternity, I finally got it and I almost jumped for joy.       
4. Are you set to completing the game till the end?
    As you move on to the next level, the challenges sure were getting difficult to complete. There were times that it seemed pretty silly trying your hardest to get it right. But in the end, I'd still want to be able to say, "I did. I finished Angry Birds from start to end!"

Can you imagine if we are as persevering in our careers and goals in life the same way we play Angry Birds? Then we would have achieved a great deal of our goals and we'd be living a full life. Or how about if our careers and jobs are as fun as Angry Birds? Then it wouldn't be so hard to persevere. Life would both be fun and challenging and we are loving it.


*Disclaimer:
This is not based on any research or study. This is purely based on author's opinions. :)

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-6148168-1