10.06.2008

How to be a “Dragon Warrior”

By Divine Grace R. Segunla



Have you seen the movie Kung Fu Panda? I’ve seen it several times and I’m not over it yet. I just love the movie like crazy. I adore Po, the big fat panda, who’s always dreamed to become a kung fu warrior only to wake up everyday of his life with an apron around his waist and in the kitchen. He cooks the best noodle soup (next to his father) in the valley and he hates it. Deep down inside, Po knew he was meant to do something more. Po is ‘The Dragon Warrior’ the only one that can bring peace to the valley and master Shifu.

Po? The big fat panda is the dragon warrior? No way! He doesn’t even know anything about kung fu. He’s fat and he stinks. He’s nosy. He’s too loud. He’s disgusting (sometimes). He eats (too much) when he’s upset. He couldn’t be the dragon warrior. Surely, there has been some mistake.

But he is the dragon warrior.

Po may not have what it takes to be a dragon warrior but he was chosen because he was meant to be the dragon warrior. You may not have the resources, you’re too young or too old, you can’t speak well and you’re not talented enough to do great things in your lifetime.

You might have been in that road before. I’ve been there several times. I know deep down inside me I’m meant to do something more. I just can’t be the ordinary province girl who just wants to finish her studies and help her family afterwards. I know there is something more to life than that. I want to be the ‘dragon warrior.’ I want to help other people. I want to travel around the world. I want to be a successful entrepreneur. I want to live life to the fullest.

Here are some things I learned from the movie on how to live the life we are made for (becoming a dragon warrior):

1. Dream
It all starts in a dream. When you dream, do not ever limit yourself. That’s why it’s called a dream. It’s for free. You can dream as big and as grand as you can. Po didn’t just dream of becoming a kung fu warrior, he dreamed of becoming the best kung fu warrior.

2. Never Give up
A true dragon warrior never gives up. If you want to fulfill all your dreams in life, you better not include give up, quit, and can’t do it in your vocabulary. It should not and never be an option for you and me.

3. Training
You need a mentor. You cannot do it and learn everything on your own. Find someone whom you trust and who believes in you to teach you everything you need to know about failure, success and life. In order to be the best in what you can do, you need to be trained, coached and mentored. Po has Shifu as his master. I have Jesus as my master. It’s time you find yourself one.

4. Believe
“To believe something is special, you just need to believe it’s special.” That’s what Po’s dad told him that ultimately led to Po’s fulfillment of his dream and call as the dragon warrior. There is no special ingredient to the best noodle soup in the valley. In the same way, there is no special ingredient for us to succeed in life. We just need to believe. Believe in your master and believe in yourself.

For us to fulfill our destinies in life does not depend on what we have or on what we can do. It depends on who we are and what’s inside us.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-6148168-1